Monday, February 25, 2008

Kicking it Old School 8-bit Style

Adulthood has a lot going for it. I've been spending quite a bit of time playing all kinds of games for the NES that I never got a chance to when I was a kid, drinking beer and eating pizza. Delightful. Back to the days of enemies that spawn to a ridiculous extreme, passwords instead of saves, and simple to learn yet incredibly difficult games.

One good resource in this old-school quest has been this top 100 list from the gentlemen at Sydlexia.com. Since most of these games can be had for somewhere between a dollar and 10 dollars from your local game shop or ebay, you can certainly while away the hours in style. And since my girlfriend has an NES that is in great shape, I don't have to buy some Chinese knockoff just to get my game on. Which is sweet.

I've been playing a lot of Ninja Gaiden. Great game, but practically impossible for a mere mortal. To get an idea of how hard this game is, there's an entire walkthrough for one level (6-2) on the game on Game FAQs. I, therefore, humbly leave you with one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Get Flash to see this player.

No comments: