Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Training Movies

Sometimes I'm not feeling quite up to training. Another advantage of the home gym? Movies. Here are some of my favorites to get pumped up to train-I throw one of these on and it's like a Pavlovian response.

I like the opening to The Big Hit (full video posted here) (From about 3:34-4:40).

300-reminds me of Gym Jones


Predator ("Dillon! You son of a bitch.")


Rocky IV features some of the best training montages ever put to film. Don't try to bring your Karate Kids, Footloose, or even your Rocky III against these bad boys:



A good training movie has certain characteristics: muscle, music, and a steely-eyed determination to keep going beyond the limits of good sense or sanity. A good training movie is on the edge between awesome and stupid.

Therefore, many selections with Stallone, virtually everything that's not (intentionally) a comedy with Schwarzenegger, and Jean-Claude Van Damme are favorites. I like anything with a training montage, regardless of how ridiculous (see the Rocky IV video above). Blade 1-3 (especially one and three) are also good.

My favorite lately has been "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" which gives you something to think about while pumping you up.



I find that my endurance for the one-hand snatch goes up when I'm watching a training montage. I wish I was lying, but they're just too awesome to resist.

Try it out. You'll see.

No comments: